Charles Cosgrave, MD and veterinary surgeon at Village Vets has advised vigilance amongst pet owners and has recommended that animals be kept away from lakes or ponds that contain the bloom. Additionally, Village Vets has released a statement to the local population of pet owners.
Kerry County Council is scheduled to erect warning signs after toxic blue-green ‘algae’ has proliferated on the waters of Killarney’s largest lake and major tourist attraction; Lough Lein.
“Village Vets are not aware of other specific bodies of water in Ireland that may be contaminated, but the heat and dry weather may have allowed more blue-green algae to bloom this year, with canals and lakes the most at risk areas”
“We advise owners who are worried about blue-green algae concentration in nearby canals, lakes and ponds to contact their local county council which may be able to provide advice on which water bodies may be contaminated”
“If your pet shows signs of poisoning, such as vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, breathing trouble or disorientation, contact your vet immediately” according to Charles.
Some types of blue-green algae can kill a dog just 15 minutes to an hour after drinking contaminated water. Dogs can develop poisoning when they drink from such water, or lick themselves after swimming in it, and this in turn has a toxic effect on the stomach and internal organs - which could prove fatal.
Village Vets has warned dog owners against walking their pets near to bodies of water confirmed to have blue-green algae.
"Sadly, exposure to toxic blue-green algae is often fatal, and can also cause long term health problems in dogs that survive after drinking or swimming in algae-contaminated water"
For further inform please contact any of our Village Vets clinics.
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!