Return to site

Chocolate poisoning in dogs.

What to do if my dog eats chocolate - A veterinary emergency.

Chocolate is harmful to dogs. Never give your dog chocolate. If there is chocolate in your house, keep it in a safe place where the dog cannot access it.

It is important to know both the amount and type of chocolate eaten. Keep the chocolate wrapper as the information can be helpful to the vet.

If you see your dog eating chocolate or suspect, they may have eaten it and you are not sure, please call us immediately. We can advise you what to do.

The substance in chocolate that is harmful is Theobromine. It can cause your dog to experience vomiting, diarrhoea, excitability, excessive thirst and urination. It can also cause more severe signs such as seizures and changes to the heart rate, which can sometimes be fatal.

Usually the dog shows these signs within 4 hours of eating the chocolate, but it can take up to 24 hours and the signs can last a few days.

The vet will advise you what to do when you call them. Sometimes the dog may be given an injection to make it vomit up the chocolate to prevent it causing further problems to the dog.

Sometimes the dog may need to stay in the hospital for more supportive treatment.

So call us at Village Vets as you can. The sooner we know, the sooner we can help

All Posts
×

Almost done…

We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!

OK