Return to site

The steps you should take if your cat has been poisoned by antifreeze

Antifreeze is a solution that is mostly found in screen washes and car radiators. Although, different materials use it as a constituent element of their product, antifreeze is extremely toxic when ingested by cats. Owing to the propensity of cats drinking water from ponds, ditches and puddles, they can often end up drinking contaminated water that is laced with antifreeze. With the scientific name of ethylene glycol, antifreeze is also used in the making of snow globes and certain types of inks.

Symptoms associated with antifreeze poisoning in cats

Ethylene glycol, which is the most active ingredient in antifreeze, gets rapidly absorbed in the body as soon as it is ingested. The most adverse effects of this substance getting absorbed by your body is irreparable kidney damage within hours. According to a report, which looked over 25 cases of cats drinking antifreeze, a staggering 96% of the victims died owing to antifreeze poisoning. Initial symptoms that indicate antifreeze poisoning in cats may include your cat being very still and quiet, vomiting and walking in a wobbly manner, as if they have been drinking. The proceeding symptoms may include severe fits or pain in the kidneys owing to the resulting kidney failure due to antifreeze intake.

The reason that cats are attracted to antifreeze

Instances of cats drinking antifreeze are quite common and one of the major reasons behind this is the inclination cats have towards this substance. Antifreeze tastes sweet, thereby making it a preferred taste for cats. However, as little as 1-1.4ml of antifreeze, per kg of the cat’s bodyweight, can prove to be fatal for your feline friend. A single teaspoon containing only 5ml of antifreeze can cause your cat to die, as antifreeze is an extremely potent poison for cats.

Ways to prevent your cat from drinking antifreeze

In case you are using any substance that contains ethylene glycol in it or using antifreeze for any household requirement, keeping it safely stored and away from the reach of your cats is extremely important. In case any spillage has occurred, it is imperative that you comprehensively clean the area right away. If your house has an artificial decorative pond in the garden, and you also happen to have cats in the house, it would be best to not add antifreeze to the water during winter, as cats are prone to drinking from these water sources. Although, your fountain might freeze over during the winter, your cat’s life would remain protected from accidental antifreeze poisoning.

Steps to take if your cat has ingested antifreeze

In case you have your doubts and suspicions and feel that your cat has accidentally ingested antifreeze, it is imperative that you contact the emergency vets right away and take your cat in for an immediate checkup. If you take your cat to one of our clinics immediately after it has drank antifreeze, chances are higher that your feline friend might survive. However, the need of intensive treatment is a must for your cat after he/she has ingested antifreeze. Owing to the extreme kidney damage antifreeze causes, the rates of survival are tragically low.

<!-- @page { margin: 2cm } H2 { margin-top: 0.35cm; margin-bottom: 0cm; color: #4f81bd; page-break-inside: avoid } H2.western { font-family: "Cambria", serif; font-size: 13pt } H2.cjk { font-family: "Lucida Sans Unicode"; font-size: 13pt } H2.ctl { font-family: ; font-size: 13pt } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

Are there any alternatives to antifreeze?

Most veterinaries would recommend you to refrain from the use of antifreeze, owing to the highly poisonous attributes it has. However, you can always resort to alternatives for antifreeze if you want to keep your cats safe and also avail the benefits of using antifreeze. Propylene glycol is a substance that is also used to create antifreeze, but it is completely safe for pets as well as for wildlife. Although, it is a bit costlier than the ethylene glycol version, using this version of antifreeze might protect your cats from dying a painful death.

<!-- @page { margin: 2cm } H2 { margin-top: 0.35cm; margin-bottom: 0cm; color: #4f81bd; page-break-inside: avoid } H2.western { font-family: "Cambria", serif; font-size: 13pt } H2.cjk { font-family: "Lucida Sans Unicode"; font-size: 13pt } H2.ctl { font-family: ; font-size: 13pt } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

How much time do cats have after they have ingested antifreeze?

The average time that a cat will have for survival after having ingested antifreeze is completely dependent on the amount of antifreeze she/he has ingested and the promptness with which adequate treatment has been administered to her/him. As per a study that was reported to VPIS, also known as the Veterinary Poisons Information Service, which included 213 different cases having known outcomes, as many as 197 cases proved to be fatal. VPIS receives the fourth highest queries pertaining to cat poisonings through ethylene glycol.

Finding a suitable vet

If you are looking for an excellent and efficient emergency vet Dublin has to offer, Village Vets would prove to be your best choice owing to the great infrastructure and experience they have in treating emergencies such as antifreeze poisoning in cats. Along with their aforementioned attributes, they also have dedicated professionals who are experts in providing medical assistance to your beloved pets, and ensure that your pets are restored back to their healthy selves as quickly as possible. Therefore, wait no longer and choose Village Vets today to ensure complete protection for your pets.

All Posts
×

Almost done…

We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!

OK